Image Map

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Coconut Brownies

Did anyone else wake up this morning and wonder how it came to be December 1st already?  I know that I did!  It feels like we should still be working our way through September right now.  Maybe it's the warm weather that we've been experiencing in the Northeast (not that I'm complaining one bit!).  Maybe it's the fact that this is the first time in my life that is gorverned by the real calendar and not the scholastic calendar (where was the influx of undergrads to mark the beginning of September?)  Maybe it's because I kinda skipped out on the whole Thanksgiving dinner thing?

Some of you were wondering why I missed out on my turkey dinner last Thursday, I promise I had a good reason!  Instead of partaking in a Thursday evening food-fest, boyfriend and I spent the usual binging hours flying from New York to Florida.  We flew down to warmer weather to visit his parents on the sunny Gulf coast and that's why we missed our turkey and stuffing.


Yes, I know that New York City enjoyed near record temperatures last weekend, but it was still warmer in Florida.  Plus, boyfriends parents live a mere seven-minute walk to the beach.  It would take me hours to walk to the beach from my apartment in New Jersey, then I would find myself confronted with the chilly Atlantic.  Brrr...

I enjoyed a restful weekend at the beach and got a little sun, then I fell asleep in the back seat of the car when returning to the airport.  Yes, I was thoroughly made fun of.  What can I say Vicki plus sun plus car ride equals nap time!  Who am I kidding, I fall asleep in the car all the time.

Since I know that you aren't feeling bad for me now for missing thanksgiving dinner, here are some brownies.  They are awesome and one of the tastiest treats to come out of the Wilde kitchen in a while!



Did you also notice the new tab at the top?  Be sure to stop by and check out my upcoming challenge for 2012!  I need your help, I need your input, I need you to challenge me!!!  Go on, it will be fun.


Coconut Brownies
A Wilde Original

One Year Ago: Salted Caramel and Chocolate Crostata

These brownies went really fast at work.  Some were swayed into eating one by the mere mention of coconut.  These actually taste like you're eating a Mounds bar, delicious.  Personally, I enjoyed having one of these after dinner with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 

The coconut oil really amps up the coconut flavor and I highly recommend getting yourself a jar.  If you are without coconut oil and really need some coconut brownies, just substitute the same amount with butter.  You won't have quite as coconutty of a product, but I'm sure they will still be delicious!

8 tbsp (1 stick) butter
6 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Grease an 8x8-inch pan and coat with flour.

In a small saucepan, melt butter, coconut oil and chocolate.  Stir until completely combined.  Set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.

In a mixing bowl, cream together sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.  Slowly stream in the chocolate mixture, beating the mixture the whole time.  Add flour, salt and coconut and stir until all of the flour is absorbed.

Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails