Image Map

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Wedding Weekends

It's been over a decade since I started my first day of college as a bright eyed art major. Those of you who know me are aware that I was not always on the path of science, not forever lab-bound. I spent the entirety of my freshman year dedicated to becoming a photographer. I'm always reminded of my photography roots whenever I head to a wedding, like boyfriend and I did this weekend.



It all started in high school, with my first photography class and senior year internship at a local photo studio. My simple internship of checking people in, organizing the studio and calling customers turned into a four year job. I graduated from desk duty to becoming an active member of the awesome photo team.


My second summer working at the studio, I started to go with the photographers to weddings, shooting as a candid observer. Black and white film loaded into my camera, I enjoyed being a fly on the wall for many a wedding. And I do mean many. Over my four years at the studio I attended at least fifty weddings (This is actually the reason I don't want to get married in my hometown!).


Come my junior year in college,I accepted an internship at a chemical company and said goodbye to my friends at the photo studio. Even though I'm a chemist through and through now, the wedding photographer in me always comes out whenever I attend a friends wedding. Boyfriend asks me why I'm taking pictures of the confetti-strew aisle and half-empty champagne glasses and I just say "I can't help it."



I also made some cookies this weekend and took their picture.  They were delicious.


One Year Ago: Ohio Buckeyes

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Coconut Cookies
Adapted from the Sono Baking Company Cookbook

I enjoyed these cookies because they used up a few of the ingredients that I had sitting in the pantry.  If you happen to have semi-sweet chocolate chips, add those.  I think that butterscotch or peanut butter chips would be equally delicious!  These cookies are also pretty big.  You'll find yourself satisfied with one and you won't need to go back for more.
Makes about 20 4-inch cookies.

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
1 cup rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350 F.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugars for 3 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined.  Add vanilla and beat to combine.

With mixer on low, slowly add in flour mixture.  Mix until all flour is combined.  Fold in chocolate chips, coconut and oats.

Using a 2-inch scoop (3 tbsp), scoop out dough onto baking sheets, leaving 2-3 inches between each cookie.    Bake the cookies for 15-17 minutes, until browned on the edges and still soft in the middle.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on a cooling rack.  Remove cookies from the baking sheet and let cool completely on another rack.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails