Image Map

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Summertime Salad

One of my favorite thing to to during the summer is to make vegetable slaws. I'll put together the ingredients on Sunday and toss the dressing with the veggies when I'm ready to eat. This brocolli slaw is my absolute favorite thing to make in the summer.


Normally, I hate raw broccoli. It just tastes dry and boring to me. When mixed with slivered almonds and dried cranberries, broccoli becomes so much more delicious. This is the only reason I ever have mayonnaise in my house.

If you are heading to a pot luck picnic, having a quiet dinner at home, or want something to eat at midnight, make this recipe. It barely takes any time at all to prepare and lasts for at least five days in the fridge. Well, it will last for five days, but I doubt it will stick around that long. I've been known to eat a big bowl of this stuff for lunch.




One Year Ago: Chile-spiced chicken with Mango salsa
Two Years Ago: Oreo Cupcakes
Three Years Ago: Turkey Burgers and Cucumber Salad
Four Years Ago: Oreo Cheesecake Ice Cream

Broccoli Slaw
Barely adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

1 large head broccoli, chopped (large or small, it's up to you!)
1/4 cup thinly sliced almonds
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 small red onion, diced
Freshly ground black pepper

Toss together broccoli, almonds and cranberries in a large bowl. In a mason jar, shake together remaining ingredients. Pour over broccoli and toss to coat. Place in the fridge for 1 hour before serving. Enjoy! Try to share.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails